Tanzania - Overland Safaris & Tours
Tanzania boasts some of Africa's most spectacular topography, including the Great Rift Valleywhich includes Lake Tanganyika, Mr Kilimanjaro (the continent's highest peak at 5892m), the vast Serengeti Plains and the wonderful Ngorongoro Crater.
Offshore are idyllic islands ringed by beautiful palm-fringed beaches, and Unguja, better known as Zanzibar Island with its exotic Stone Town.
Must Do's In Tanzania
- Spot vast herds of game in the wide-open plains of the Serengeti National Park.
- Experience Ngorongoro Crater, one of Africa's best wildlife-viewing areas.
- Try some Swahili seafood- based dishes - delicious!
- Take in a couple of clubs and dance to funky Swahili music.
- Visit breathtaking Zanzibar with its beautiful beaches, and colourful culture. Go diving, swim with the dolphins, gorge on fresh seafood and take in the chilled island atmosphere.
More On Tanzania
The archaeological treasures of Tanzania include hominid fossils, which is more than 300 million years old.
Tanzanian music and dance dominates much of East Africa. Strong in rhythm and renowned for hard-hitting lyrics, the country's Swahili-based sounds are kept very much alive by a thriving dance-band scene.
Nyama choma (barbecued meat) has taken over in a big way, especially in restaurants with attached bars. But on the coast and in Zanzibar and Pemba islands, there's a decent range of traditional Swahili dishes based on seafood.
There is a wide range of optional activities to make your experience in Tanzania absolutely unforgettable. Some great floating is to be had in hot-air balloons over the Serengeti and swimming with dolphins around the island of Zanzibar. Snorkeling and scuba diving is equally popular around the world-class coral reefs off nearby Pemba and Mafia islands.
The coastal strip along the Indian Ocean and the offshore islands of Pemba and Zanzibar has a hot, humid, tropical climate alleviated by sea breezes. Only on the mountain slopes of the northeast does the country enjoy an almost temperate climate for most of the year. Rainy season is from mid-March to mid-May.
Tanzania Overland Safari Tips
- Avoid wearing expensive jewellery, and as in all developing countries beware of pickpockets.
- The Tanzanians are generally very welcoming, and learning a few basic words of Swahili will pay dividends.
- Respect local customs and cultures especially in Zanzibar which is predominantly Muslim.