Livingstone is named after the missionary and explorer David Livingstone. The main street of this quaint colonial town is the important Mosi-oa-Tunya Road, sections of which are lined with classic colonial buildings. These Victorian tin roofed houses with wooden verandas, many of which are decaying, are a typical example of the English settler architecture.
The spectacular Victoria Falls Bridge, which is only about 10 kilometers away from Livingstone, was completed in 1905 and settlers moved in to the higher ground at Livingstone to try and escape Malaria. Livingstone became the capital of Northern Rhodesia in 1911, but the capital was moved to Lusaka in 1935. Livingstone then returned to being a lazy quiet little town with much charm. It still is, despite the general air of neglect. However Zambia is encouraging tourism and there is a feeling of change and optimism in the air.